Total Pageviews

Friday, August 5, 2011

Tuesday 8/2/11

On Tuesday 8/2/11, I witnessed a tragedy.  A tragedy that took a life.  A tragedy that has impacted me deeply.  An individual left their house to make a quick trip to the store not knowing they would never return home.   It made me realize so many weaknesses about myself.    It also made me realize how I need to stop and appreciate the small things in life. 

In a matter of minutes on that day I went from sitting in my cousin's chair at her beauty shop to trying to remain composed in an emergency situation. 

After the events of this tragedy began to wind down and more information was passed along to those that were at the scene, I began to evaluate the circumstances and ask myself questions.

1) Did this person know Jesus as his Savior?  One of the individuals at the scene with me immediately began to pray for this victim.  I am so ashamed that this was not my first response.  My response was to get someone trained there as quickly as possible to help this person.  I should have looked to the Great Physician for help.  Thank you to the other person that was there who did just that. 

2) Did this person kiss his loved ones goodbye before he left his house?  Loren kisses me everyday before he leaves.  He kisses me even when I am sound asleep in the summer.  I will NEVER be aggravated because he disturbs my sleep again.  He kisses me and tells me he loves me before he leaves because you just never know if that will be the last time or not. 

3)  What could I have done different to help this person?  Could I have helped this person?  I honestly don't know.  And I don't know if I will ever stop wondering.

My heart is grieving for this family.  After this day, I will never be the same.  I will never forget how a quick trip to the store can change a family's life forever.  We all should not let a day go by that we don't tell the ones we love that we love them.  Kiss them.... hug them.... sit and hold them.  You never know if it will be your last chance.  Cherish those "bear hugs" and "pucker power". 

1 comment:

  1. Good points. Things like that do impact you. When I was in college, I saw a car turn broadside into a motorcyclist and the rider flew about 30 feet into the air. It does make you think.

    ReplyDelete