Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

12 years.......

Today I completed my 12th year of teaching.  Each year I look forward to summer just a little more.  Is it because my babies are so much fun to hang with all summer long?  YES! or...... Is it because teaching gets a little harder each year?  YES!  I totally LOVE what I do. 

Can I ever imagine doing anything else?  NO!  I really cannot not.  I teach at a GREAT school!!  I was very blessed to become part of the faculty at BHS.  I work with OUTSTANDING people who NEVER hesitate to offer their assistance. 

Change in education is a never ending process.  I really hope that the "officals" figure out the best plan one of these days.  When I was exiting college and entering in to the world of education, I never imagined all of the changes that would occur in my 12 years.  I can imagine the stories that our "Master" teachers can tell us.  Somehow though teachers do manage to get the job done year after year. 

Since I have been in education I have dealt with comments that have hit a nerve with me such as:

1) You are a teacher....  you must make a lot of money!
2) You are a teacher?  You work from 8-3......  why are you tired?
3) Don't you get to sit at your desk all day?
4) You are pretty much a highly paid babysitter.
5) How hard is it to push play on a dvd player?
6) You only work 9 months out of the year.  (that is my personal fave)
7) How hard is it to get a kid to do his homework?
8) Do you get paid overtime when you take work home with you?
9) What did you plan to do before you became a teacher?
10) Your discount on your cell phone plan will be 18%.....  If you worked for Frito Lay or Pepsi it would be 47%. (REALLY??????))))))

 I am glad this year is over. 

2 comments: