Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fried Chicken

I love fried chicken.  I am pretty sure I was really young when I started eating it.  I made it tonight for supper.  My Grannie taught me how to fry chicken.  Her chicken was the best fried chicken ever.  So mouth-watering.  I was married with a couple of kids when she showed me how she did it.  She put salt all over the pieces and put it right back in to the fridge.  A few hours later she pulled the chicken out....  put it in a brown paper sack with some flour and went to shaking.  She heated that grease and she began to fry.  She fried it so slow.  She always said that was the key so that is the way I do it too.  Being at her house when she was cooking it was pure torture!!  The smell was amazing!  We had fried chicken every holiday....  Mother's day....  Christmas.....  you name it....  we ate her chicken.  When I was a kid and we would take road trips to certain places you never had to wonder where we were going to eat for lunch because Grannie was up before we left frying up a whole chicken and she brought it along.  Yep....  we had to smell it while we were riding along.  UGH!!  That was just not right.  But man it was yummy and it was well worth the wait.    When she got to the point that she could not cook the chicken for our family holidays that became my task.  When I would make it for the family I was always so worried that it would not taste like Grannie's.  The family ate it anyway.  I would ask Loren if the chicken tasted good and of course like any smart husband he would reply with a "yes".  Then my next question I would ask was if it tasted like Grannie's and he would reply "almost".  I was satisfied with an "almost".  If it was almost as good as my Grannie's fried chicken then that is good enough for me.

1 comment:

  1. Makes me hungry!(But I'm not any good at frying chicken so if I help you find your scrapbook scissors ...????) With my grandma, it was chicken and dumplings. Sweet memories. (And, no, I'm not any good at making chicken and dumplings either..)

    ReplyDelete